Name:
Location: Florence, South Carolina

Monday, January 30, 2006

Chips Off The Old Block

Last week was report card week. For some this can be a very stressful time. When I was in school. I never really worried to much about getting report cards cause usually I had all A's & an occasional B. When I chose the donor for the boys, one of the criteria was that he be intelligent. It turns out, he is a doctor. So it stands to reason that my kids would be intelligent too! Of course, there are no guarantees. Anyway, Jhett received all A's, with his lowest grade being in Math with a 96.4%. Reading = 98.7% Science/Health = 100.0% Social Studies = 97.5% Spelling = 99.9% Isn't that awesome!!! And he hates school!!! On Friday, he earned his 50 points in Reading Renaissance. He reads a book or 2 every night & then takes a computer test every morning. For every book that he makes 100 on, he gets 1/2 point. By the end of the year they have to have 100 points. First nine weeks, Ms. Munn wrote "Jhett has adjusted well to 1st grade. He adds so much to our class. Keep up the good work!" Second nine weeks, Ms. Munn wrote "Jhett continues to work independently. He contributes so much to class. I'm proud of his work!" Jhett took a nationwide standardized test (remember those horrible things?) called the STAR Reading Test. It presents diagnostic information about his general reading skills. His Grade Equivalent (GE) score was 4.0, which means his reading skills are comparable to a 4th grader after the start of the school year. He also acheived a national Percentile Rank (PR) of 99. This score is in the above average range & means that Jhett scored greater than 99% of students nationally in the same grade, or that he is in the top 1% of 1st graders in the US!!! WOW!!! How awesome is that?
Sterling's report card came back from Byrnes with all "S"'s. Ms. O'Brien wrote "Sterling is such a sweetheart. He does excellent work. I can tell you spend a lot of time with him. Keep up the good work!" Do we have great kids or what?! They are chips off the old block!!!
I'm so glad that the boys are smart. I just have no tolerance or patience for ignorant people. I sometimes forget that they are as young as they are, & get a little impatient with them when we are doing homework. I really have to stop sometimes & tell myself that they are little boys, & they are just learning this stuff. I pray for patience daily. Cause, the good Lord knows, I have little patience. It's a major character flaw. ;-)
On the business front, we are in negotiations to purchase another house. This one is new construction. The deal should go through this week. We are up to owning 6 houses now. It's keeping us busy!!! Our secret business is in the early stages of development. It is an entirely new concept, & a much needed service. Emily & I met with some prominent business men in the area last Wednesday to discuss our ideas, & do a mini-presentation. It was well received. I am excited about it. It was a real rush hearing others talk about this as enthusiastically as we have been for the last 6 months. When we first began talking about it, I had the feeling that this was going to be BIG!!! Now, after meeting with these folks, I am even more convinced that with the right marketing & preparation, this could be an International company!!! And you know how determined Emily & I can be when we get something in our heads!!! It's do or die!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home